Career Level Manager
Experience 8 Years +
Qualifications Degree Bachelor
Job title: Health and Safety Manager
Company: Newmont Corporation
Location: Birim North, Eastern, Ghana
About This Role:
- To design, lead and manage the development and implementation of sound Health and Safety Management systems and processes that incorporate risk management strategies to achieve a fatality, injury and illness free operation.
In This Role You Will:
Health and Safety Strategic Execution
- Manage the execution of Health and Safety (HS) strategies to reduce and minimize the impact of work on employees’ health and well-being.
HS Policy, Procedure, Process and System Development and Execution
- Develop, monitor and direct the implementation of HS standards and procedures, across all operational levels within Newmont.
- Oversee all HS activities to ensure compliance with local and international legislation, regulations and operational best practices.
- Provide technical and administrative direction on all HS decisions, which bear critical importance to the overall Operation’s objectives and profitability.
- Lead the development, maintenance and implementation of HS systems and business plans.
- Develop, roll out and maintain specific HS initiatives across all operational levels within Newmont, ensuring they are current, appropriate and consistent with HS business plans, legislative requirements and best practice.
- Oversee all surface and underground HS operations.
- Design and execute emergency and rapid response requirements.
HS Standards, Compliance, Risk and Governance
- Direct and guide HS risk assessments of the work of operations to create a risk register.
- Review and update the risk register as conditions change or new elements are identified.
- Direct and manage the consistent application of Newmont corporate standards and governance requirements for site teams and contractors.
- Ensure that reviews and gap assessments are conducted on all key contractor HS plans and processes, to confirm alignment and compliance with Newmont corporate standards and governance requirements.
- Appraise and review the performance of the site to ensure compliance with Newmont standards and governance requirements, key performance indicators and company core values.
- Facilitate ongoing interaction between Newmont and the Inspectorate Division of the Minerals Commission, by assisting them with Health and Safety technical investigations.
Site Management Budget and Cost Control
- Develop and manage operating budgets and costs for the HS department by:
- Preparing the annual budget.
- Reviewing and tracking costs against the budget.
- Reporting deviations from the budget.
- Recommending initiatives to manage expenses more effectively.
- Completing expense reports.
- Manage allocated staff members.
- Oversee all external Health and Safety contractors working on-site within the Newmont Akyem mine and administer disciplinary actions, where appropriate.
- Supervise all visiting Health and Safety inspectors and escort them around all relevant facilities.
- Guide, coach, mentor and support managers / supervisors in the implementation and ongoing management of health, safety, project risk and contractor HS management systems and processes.
- Verify that there is sufficient capacity (employed staff and contractors) at all times to meet department and HS objectives.
- Confirm that skills development plans are in place to ensure a pipeline of technical skills.
HS Communication and Training
- Actively participate in formal and informal communication to:
- Ensure that all HS policies, procedures, rules and regulations are communicated to end-users and stakeholders.
- Establish an appropriate level of understanding, awareness, knowledge and skill and preparedness across Newmont operations.
- Contribute towards building a culture that prioritizes effective HS and balances overall associated costs.
- Assist the Training Department in developing HS training curricula and administer HS training, as and when required.
- Promote and facilitate the completion of monthly HS scheduled activities.
- Develop and distribute monthly HS reports, presentations and topics that provide employees with workplace injury statistics, new initiatives and system changes; maintain data for the Newmont site.
Information Management and Management Reporting
- Develop monitoring and measurement criteria for HS competency, in line of progression.
- Collate and analyses data from event investigations and other HS sources to determine control failure, root cause, lessons learned and actions to prevent recurrence.
- Provide technical leadership in investigation of HS related events.
- Manage the lessons learning process for significant potential events.
- Assist all Head of Departments (HOD’s) in responding to inquiries lodged by local Regulatory agencies and the Public, regarding Health and Safety issues.
- Provide the inspectorate division of the Minerals Commission with both monthly and quarterly reports.
Your Training, Skills and Experience Checklist:
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- A Bachelors’ degree in Occupational Health and Safety, Engineering or Applied Sciences.
- Demonstrated excellence in technical knowledge of Health and Safety principles.
- Detailed knowledge and experience in conducting risk assessments and audit processes.
- Experience in implementing robust Health and Safety processes in newly established and
- existing project teams.
- Minimum 8 – 10 years’ Health and Safety experience, of which at least 4 – 5 years should be in the capacity of a Manager for a large organization, including experience in areas such as Surface and Underground Mining, Process Plant Operations and Project Construction.
- Advanced incident management skills.
- Advanced business continuity management skills.
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Advanced communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Advanced relationship management skills.
- Advanced information monitoring and management skills.
- Advanced planning, organizing and prioritizing skills.
- Strong coaching and mentoring skills.
- Strong conflict management and influencing skills.
- Strong capacity planning skills.
- Financial administration, analysis and reporting skills.
- Goal orientated.
- Applies integrity in dealings.
- Leader and Influential
- Safety conscious.
- Proactive and takes initiative.
- Results driven and Resilient.
- Attentive to detail.
- Culturally sensitive.
- Position is located at Akyem.
- Incumbent works in an office setting with regular visits to operational areas, not all of which have high exposures to hazardous environments.
- Incumbent may be required to work beyond the normal hours (8 hours) of work and no overtime is required to be paid.
- Travel is required to attend Chamber of Mines Technical Committee meetings, as well as periodic meetings with the Chief Inspector of Mines in Accra.