Offered Salary 0
Career Level Manager
Qualifications Degree Bachelor
Job Title: Finance Officer
Company: Federation of Canadian Municipalities
The Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM) has signed a contribution agreement with Global Affairs Canada (GAC) for a six-year project entitled Partnerships for Municipal Innovation – Women in Local Leadership (PMI-WILL). PMI-WILL intends to contribute to improved quality of life for women and girls, in particular those from marginalized groups, in Benin, Cambodia, Ghana, Sri Lanka and Zambia. The project will use a two-pronged approach to achieve this goal:
- Increasing the participation and enhancing the role of women as leaders and decision-makers in local governance
- Increasing the effectiveness of local governments in delivering inclusive, gender-responsive public services.
FCM will implement the project in collaboration with national Local Government Associations (LGAs) in each country, selected local governments (LGs)/municipalities and other selected partners, including relevant Ministries, CSOs and women’s rights organizations. FCM will mobilize Canadian municipal practitioners and elected officials from FCM’s membership to provide peer-to-peer technical assistance.
The project office will be based in Ghana and covering all target countries, supported by FCM head office in Ottawa, Canada.
Under the direction of PMI-WILL’s Finance and Operations Manager based in Ghana and working in collaboration with the other members of the team, the Finance Officer Consultant is responsible for carrying out day-to-day accounting functions and providing support for financial management of project activities with accuracy, transparency, and due diligence. The Finance Officer Consultant will coordinate all aspects of the finance and accounting activities for a specific number of countries, including, but not limited to: ensuring compliant and timely financial reporting, supporting our LGA partners in the financial aspects of the project, reviewing contractual agreements to ensure compliance with project agreements, and monitoring progress against budgets. The Finance Officer Consultant protects FCM’s integrity, reputation and supports FCM’s role as a global leader in international cooperation aimed at strengthening local capacities and enhancing governance.
1. Accounting duties including accounting system, accounts payable and cash management
- Ensure that all expenses are properly documented and entered into the accounting system in compliance with generally accepted accounting principles, FCM’s policies and donor procedures;
- Ensure compliance with the provisions and laws of the country related to accounting, income tax, social security and labor law.
- Ensure complete transparency of all financial transactions.
- Verify that all expenses have been accurately coded to using the program’s Chart of Accounts;
- Conduct the monthly closing and fiscal year end closing into the accounting system.
- Prepare monthly financial reports that are required by the Finance & Operations Manager according to the established format and deadlines.
- Ensure that all the documents within the Accounting Department are complete, properly filed, easily traceable and are kept strictly confidential at all times.
- Ensure consultants and service providers are in compliance with the commitments detailed in their contracts.
- Manage cash flow for the bank accounts, including funds transferred from Canada.
- Provide support to Project staff regarding financial arrangements for business travel (i.e., advances, mission expenses reconciliation, etc.) and verify that all travel-related expense reports are accurate and properly documented.
2. Financial reports
- Reviews partner monthly financial reports and forecast.
- Prepare conversion of expenses from local currencies to Canadian dollars for monthly journal entry to the FCM accounting system in Canada.
- Submit the monthly financial reports and supporting documents according to FCM regulations to Ottawa HO, including general ledger summary sheets, reconciliations, balance sheet, profit and loss and trial balance.
- Produce monthly financial reports for the Project financial monitoring, such as staff advances and vendor payments.
- Guide and review partner’s expense reports and track the monthly submission in due course.
3. Budget preparation and tracking
- Assist in and prepare monthly budgeting and financial planning to prepare monthly wire and cash flow of project;
- Monitor the monthly financial expenditures of the project activities by tracking balances using the pipeline template.
- Perform financial classification and support technical team in providing activities budget codes to ensure efficient reporting.
4. Budget Analysis
- Analyse financial data from accounting system for decision support for Finance & Operations Manager.
- Analyse past financial spending trends and make recommendations for improvements.
- valuate financial performance by comparing and analysing actual cost with plans and forecasts.
- Utilize the accounting system functions to ease financial reports and data retrieving for efficient reporting.
- Track project commitments through direct collaboration with the project and admin staff in FO office and partners.
5. Other duties
- Deliver required financial capacity building trainings to partner municipalities related to creating budgets for initiatives proposals.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Finance & Operations Manager that are consistent with the overall scope of the position. Duties and responsibilities may be modified or expanded upon at any time as required for the successful implementation of the project.
Knowledge, Education and Experience
- A university degree in Accounting.
- A professional accounting designation preferred [e.g. Certified Professional Accountant (CPA), Certified Accountant (CA), Certified Management Accountant (CMA), Certified General Accountant (CGA) or equivalency in Ghana].
- Five (5) years’ experience as an accountant or Finance Officer, preferably in an international non-profit organization.
- Demonstrated experience in auditing and compliance management
- Sound experience in computer business applications including accounting software, Quickbooks, MS Applications (Excel, Outlook, Word, Powerpoint, MS Project).
- Strong organization and communications skills.
- Demonstrated experience working within a team environment.
- All applicants must be residents of Ghana or legally entitled to work in Ghana.
- Fluency in English and French is required.
For additional information on this posting, or for further information on FCM, access our website at www.fcm.ca.
Visit the careers section of our website to apply. Deadline for applications is June 9, 2023
FCM welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodation is available upon request at every stage of the recruitment and hiring process.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however we will only contact those selected for an interview. All the applications will be kept in file for six months following the hiring.
HOW TO APPLY