Career Level Executive
Qualifications Degree Bachelor
Job Title: Executive Director
Location: Accra, Ghana
Company: United Way
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Executive Director is the leader of the organization, establishing a vision for Resource Mobilization & Community Impact that is achieved through the efforts of a diverse team of high-performing leaders, staff and volunteers alike. The Executive Director is the Chief Mobilizer; s/he leverages the power of relationships and networks, and works across private, public and corporate sectors to improve conditions in the community.
The Executive Director possesses a high level of executive leadership, broad business and management skills and is effective at generating resources and financial support for the organization.
The Executive Director is dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good – creating, resourcing, scaling and leveraging strategies for broad investment and impact.
The Executive Director is the steward of brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation of United Way. S/he is responsible for building trust in United Way and its relevance in the community. S/he values network and strives to leverage United Way’s breadth of community presence, relationships, and strategy.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS The major responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to:
Community Impact – The Executive Director is responsible for the overall impact of United Way Ghana on the community, with particular emphasis on increasing its capacity to drive the impact agenda. The
Executive Director works closely with the Governing Council to craft and adapt the strategy to achieve this increased impact, including raising the funds to support it. S/he will establish and build relationships with top leaders in the community, including those representing the highest levels in business, government and non-profit sectors.
Resource Development – The Executive Director is charged to drive key results in fundraising; to identify, cultivate and solicit prospective donors and key leaders of prospective new corporate partners; to leverage personal and professional contacts and relationships into fundraising opportunities; and to promote a culture of fundraising in the organization, both at the staff and Governing Council level.
Strategic Management – The Executive Director serves as the principal resource to the Governing Council and its key committees and gives strong direction in policy formulation and interpretation. S/he partners with the Governing Council and the United Way Ghana team to craft organizational goals and develops strategies to ensure that they are achieved. S/he ensures coordination and alignment of all United Way activities to strategic direction in the areas of community impact, resource development, and staff alignment.
Organization Management – The Executive Director is accountable for building and leading high-performing teams, ensuring all teams are aligned and collaborating to achieve organizational results. S/he maintains accountability for the operational and fiscal integrity of the organization within policies set by the Governing Council. The Executive Director assesses organizational capacity to implement strategies and identify gaps in systems and staffing; directly supervises team positions and establishes individual goals; works with the Financial Officer to manage organizational spending, monitor budget compliance, and mitigate financial risks; and ensures that United Way Ghana goals of inclusiveness and diversity among staff and volunteers are met.
- Substantial experience working in the nonprofit sector (United Way experience a plus) and interacting with volunteers and diverse boards. Alternatively, extensive experience in the leadership and management of organizations of comparable size and mission.
- Expertise on issues relevant to the organization.
- Ability to command the confidence and respect of stakeholders.
- A demonstrated track record of promoting diversity and an ability to build collaboration with the community at large.
- Experience in or across multiple sectors, including nonprofit, public and corporate environments.
- Experience in developing partnerships, building teams and conflict management.
- Experience in building revenue and increasing philanthropic support.
- Must demonstrate a high level of intelligence and intellectual curiosity and a desire to explore new ideas and innovative approaches to solving problems.
S/he has unquestioned integrity; a long term perspective; a strong sense of accountability; a practical ability to get things done; wisdom and good judgment; a fair and thoughtful approach to management, combined with the flexibility and courage to shift direction and experiment with new initiatives; excellent verbal and written communication skills; a high energy level and sense of humor.
Must possess a first degree from an accredited 4-year tertiary institution with at least 10 years executive management experience. Possession of a master’s degree is preferable
Employment Laws and Regulations of Ghana apply.
The applicant must be citizen or resident of Ghana with the requisite documents that allows local employment
CORE COMPETENCIES REQUIRED FOR THIS POSITION
- Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
- Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
- Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
- Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
- Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.
- Visionary: Confronts the complex realities of the environment and simultaneously maintains faith in a different and better future, providing purpose, direction, and motivation.
- Team-Builder: First ensures that the right people are in the right roles at the right times; fostering commitment, trust, and collaboration among multi-cultural leaders and stakeholders.
- Outward Turning: Understands the dynamics of local, regional, and national environments, and works on an agenda rooted in the community’s own perception of its needs and aspirations.
- Business Acumen: Possesses a high-level of broad business and management skills and is effective at generating financial support for the organization.
- Network-Oriented: Values the power of networks; striving to leverage United Way’s breadth of community presence, relationships, and strategy.
Send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org; Applications accepted until 14th May 2021
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted